|Photo: Connie Hatfield|
There is a shake-up in our rankings after a couple of top-end matches. The biggest match last weekend was easily St. Mary's vs. BYU with the Cougars coming away with the win.
1. Life (Last Week: 1, bye): Life didn't play last weekend but they still move up to the top spot in our rankings. Every challenge Life has had this year they've been up to it and we expect that to continue against Clemson this weekend. The playoffs aren't that far down the road and the Running Eagles will have great preparation as they close out their Mid-South season with Lindenwood and Davenport. Up next: Clemson
2. Cal (LW: 3, beat UCLA 88-7, USC 91-7, and Stanford 120-0): Now that's how you rebound from a pair of disappointing results. UBC are very good and had the better of Cal in the World Cup but the Golden Bears showed exactly why they are still a threat to win a trophy at the end of the year with three huge wins. Up next: Bye
Take the jump to read more.
3. BYU (LW: 4, beat St. Mary's 35-26): It wasn't the prettiest of wins but a flurry of tries in each half was enough to push BYU over St. Mary's. They looked like a team that is beginning to find themselves and how they want to play after early 'struggles.' No one will want to play them in the DI-A playoffs. Up next: Central Washington
4. St. Mary's (LW: 1, lost to BYU 35-26): It's probably rough to drop the Gaels down from first to fourth after just one loss but the match in Provo was seen as a bellwether match. Outside of a couple of rough minutes in each half the Gaels actually had the better of the Cougars. If they face each other on neutral ground or in California the Gaels will have to like their chances. Up next: Bye
5. Central Washington (LW: 5, beat Tacoma 72-5): Another win over local Northwest competition for the Wildcats. They have come through with flying colors in each test so far. All that said, they are going to get a huge test this weekend as BYU come to town. Up next: BYU
6. Lindnwood (LW: 6, beat Davenport 32-10): The Lions rode a strong second half on their way to beating Davenport. It was an important win for the team as they find their legs again after the Vegas 7s. Like several other top teams they are rolling at the right time. That is going to make for some fun times in the playoffs. Up next: Memphis
7. Penn State (LW: 7, tour of Scotland): The Nittany Lions finished up their trip of Scotland with a third win. That's three out of three. They have momentum but the question is whether they can crash what looks like a top six group of teams. Up next: Bye
8. Army (LW: 8, pre-season): After a long wait Army get going again this weekend with a trip to California. Up next: UCLA, San Diego State
9. Arkansas State (LW: 9, match with Clemson cancelled): Arkansas State wasn't able to see what they could do against Clemson. Up next: Davenport
10. San Diego State (LW: NR, beat Santa Clara 92-28): The Aztecs have enjoyed a fine year so far. Up next: Army