Wednesday, March 1, 2017

DI Recap: Reds Beat Blacks, California Update

It's time once again to take a look around DI.

Pacific South

Two of the top teams in the Pacific South clashed over the weekend with Belmont Shore beating Santa Monica 21-12. Kalei Konrad did most of the damage on Saturday with two penalties and a drop goal. Stevie Johnson and Tim Stanfill had tries for OMBAC. John Anseme and Keanu Ashwell had tries for Monica. The other match in SoCal saw Belmont Shore beat Pasadena 82-10.

Pacific North

There were only a couple of matches in NorCal over the weekend and both were blowouts. Life West continued their strong ways with a 59-17 win over SFGG Green. It wasn't all bad for SFGG as their top team beat Santa Rosa 62-7. Sacramento Lions vs. EPA Razorbacks was scheduled for the weekend but the Lions couldn't fulfill the fixture.

The Pacific Northwest match between the Valley Kangaroos and Bend was postponed due to field conditions.

Take the jump to read more.

Atlantic North

The Atlantic North have yet to begin their spring season.


The Mid-Atlantic have yet to begin their spring season.


The Midwest have yet to begin their spring season.

Red River

There were two matches in the Red River over the weekend. One saw HARC beat the Austin Huns 46-21. It was the Huns second string side as the first team was in Glendale playing the Raptors. The other match saw the Dallas Reds beat the Austin Blacks. Below is the write-up from the Reds Facebook page.

The Reds finally put together a performance the coaching staff have been looking for this season and the result was a dominant win. The match had the collisions, skills and excitement we have come accustomed to seeing when the Reds take on the Blacks, however the score line wasn’t as close as previous meetings.

The Reds were determined to start better than previous games and were able to open the scoring with a penalty goal in the opening minutes however the Blacks were first to land a major blow through a try off a grubber kick and taking an early 7-3 lead. The teams took part in an aerial battle, field territory proving a key to scoring points. It was the Reds who were able to find their way into the Blacks 22m zone and take control of momentum, leading to 17 unanswered points through tries to Dale Russ, Zack Klump and Lucas Bersin. The 13 point deficit spurred the Blacks into action, and they were able to flip the momentum of the game, running in back to back tries and taking a 21-20 lead with 10 minutes left in the first half. The momentum had one more shift before the half ended, and it was Chad Joseph who was the beneficiary of patient forward work on the Blacks try line, the Reds reclaiming the lead 27-21 at half time.

The half time break did nothing to halt the Reds momentum, finding their way into the Blacks half and earning a penalty in the Blacks 22m zone, Captain Herron showing no hesitation in electing to take the 3 points and extend the Reds lead to 9. The Reds forward pack begun to flex their muscle and the backline reaped the rewards. Bersin again broke the line and found support in Spencer Cameron who was able to win the foot race to the line and give the Reds a 37-21 lead. With all the momentum, the Reds kept rolling forward and off a turnover, Jonny Herron was able to bust his way through tacklers and give the Reds a commanding 44-21 lead going into the final 20 minutes. The Blacks were not about to give up and were able to shift the momentum and find their way into the Reds 22m zone, leading to a passage of play that would prove critical in the final result. The Blacks attacked the Reds line, throwing wave after wave of attack and while the defence didn’t crack, the Reds were too eager to force a turnover and had not one but two players awarded yellow cards. The Blacks continued to pressure the Reds, and with only 13 players, the Reds defence still didn’t crack.

Eventually a wayward pass was scooped up by Blake Boulton who took the ball the length of the field and gave the Reds a 28 point lead with 15 minutes remaining. The Reds were only playing with 13 men, and gave the Blacks 7 points almost immediately after but the damage was all but done. A full compliment of forwards was all the Reds needed to ice the game in dominant fashion moments later. The forward pack drove a scrum over 10 metres before number 8 Dale Russ was rewarded for a strong game, crashing over for his second try and putting the lead back to 28 and the Reds score above 50. The Reds had one more try in them and Chad Joseph showed his pace, winning a 50m sprint and scoring his second. The Blacks scored a consolation try in injury time to take the final score to 63-35. The Reds next home match will be on April 8th against the only side to beat them this year, the Austin Huns.

No comments:

Post a Comment